Wednesday 7 October 2015

War and Peace

Today,I was watching Richard Gere's talk about Buddhism.He was talking about uncertainty in our lives and the effect of desire. He said, If I love a cookie and I desire for it, I will be happy when I get it. it truly gives me happiness in the first bite. Second cookie? not so much, the third, fourth, fifth, and by tenth cookie, I am like, "I hate cookies". That is what everything around us, is about. We think, these material things give us happiness. But that is not true. Right? Even people can't give us happiness always, no matter how much we love them, or how much they love us. there are chances of things going wrong between two people. Sometimes we may think, we should leave all this superficial world and go somewhere far. Away from everything and everyone. Will we be happy then? No.. We will still find problems in the environment we are living in or we will attach ourselves to the past so much so that we barely can see the present. 

Now what is the solution?I haven't figured it out yet. But I know one thing that, all we can do is enjoy the present moment and spend as much time as possible in things, which when you think of 10 years later, will make you feel proud of yourself.We all make mistakes. But learning from those mistakes is important and also understand that others make mistakes just like us. Forgive and forget. Hurting others is in turn a burden on us, not them. I have tried hurting people who hurt me. But seeing them get hurt has never made me happy. It's like heavy weight on your heart. Sometimes we misinterpret people's behavior and take harsh decisions. Which again leads to a chain reaction. We talk about violence, we talk about treachery, hurt and deceit.But how much of this have we got in us? May be in less quantity. But it's still there. We need to cleanse this bit by bit. Find your enemies. I mean "your enemies". Six of them. (Arishadvargas: kama, krodha, mada, moha, lobha and mathsara), lust,anger,ego,delusion,greed and jealousy respectively. Next time, watch and observe when do you display these qualities. Make a note of it. And try to work on these.Let us win the battle with our enemies bit by bit.

Wars are not fought between countries, wars are not fought between people, wars are fought within ourselves.

2 comments:

  1. Best line,

    Wars are not fought between countries, wars are not fought between people, wars are fought within ourselves.

    ReplyDelete