Tuesday 4 August 2015

Benne Biscuit

When I was a kid, there was a small grocery shop near our house. The shop keeper would have these delicious biscuits in a dabba(box) on the display. Every day on our way to school we used to look at those biscuits with our mouths watering. We used to beg our parents, pester them to give us 50 paisa so that we can buy those benne biscuits.After constant nagging for a week or so, we would get 50 paisa and our benne biscuit. I don't know why they call it benne biscuit. Benne in Kannada means butter. So I'm assuming,one of the main ingredients of the biscuit was butter. Once we give 50 paisa to the shop keeper and take out one benne biscuit from the dabba, it's all ours. Before going into the mouth, it would get all our admiration and attention. Then, slowly we would keep it in the mouth, and enjoy every crumb, every bit of it and that moment used to be so special, and that day would go great. That was the power of one biscuit on our mind and on our life. Ha..Sweet memories..

Yesterday I was in the Supermarket. A packet of benne biscuits near the billing counter,caught my eye and immediately I went and got it for billing. I took it home and thought I can have it, the next day during tea time as I had lot of things to worry about that moment. Today during tea time, I was hungry, wanted to eat something and suddenly remembered the biscuits I had bought.I opened the packet of benne biscuits and had 4 to 5 of them.Suddenly I noticed, my mouth was busy eating biscuit but my mind was wandering somewhere else. Work life tension, personal life tension. Thinking of getting settled. thinking of all the bad things which happened to me and are happening. I thought,What has happened to me?  If that shop of my childhood was there now ,near my house, I can afford the whole dabba of benne biscuits.But that biscuit will not make my day..that biscuit will not make the moment special...That biscuit has lost the power of magic on me.Or wait a minute..is it just me who has lost the power to enjoy small things in life??


No comments:

Post a Comment